Thursday, May 14, 2009

My First Sewing Machine

My grandma was a wonderful seamstress. I remember sitting under her sewing table playing while she made me beautiful dresses and costumes. My dream was to be able to sew anything and everything - just like her. My mom made this dream a reality when I was only about 10 years old, when she found this wonderful lady named Cleo who lived nearby to be my sewing teacher. She wasn't a sewing teacher, but actually a professional seamstress. Even though she was very busy with her business, she agreed to teach me what she knew. What a blessing this has been in my life. My mom unknowingly bought me the best machine ever. A Pfaff 1222 that I still sew on and love. For the next few years my machine sat on a table in the corner of Cleo's sewing room. It was a closed in sun porch that was the full length of her house. I rode my bike to her house every chance I could and in no time at all I was wearing my own creations. Soon, I was sewing for others and to this day my brothers still bring me their pants to hem. I feel sad that sewing lost popularity and that many girls don't know how to sew. I want to give them the opportunity to learn this valuable skill and to find the love and enjoyment in the creation process as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment